Teenager died from ‘allergic reaction to Byron burger coated with butter milk’
11
November

By Adem Lewis / in , , , /


A teenager celebrating his 18th birthday died from an allergic reaction to a Byron chicken burger which he didn’t know was coated with butter milk, an inquest heard Owen Carey, who had a dairy allergy, collapsed after eating half of a skinny grilled chicken at the O2 Arena Byron branch on April 22, 2017 He received treatment from paramedics where he lay in front of the London Eye but they could not save Owen who was “unresponsive” when they arrived Southwark Coroner’s Court was told that a post mortem examination revealed “asthma exacerbation in the context of a severe food allergic reaction” was the cause of death This is common in people who suffer a fatal anaphylactic shock, the hearing was told, and an expert said it was unlikely that even an EpiPen would have saved Owen Dr Robert John Boyle, a consultant paediatric analyst at St Mary’s Hospital, said: “There are very few things so powerful that they can take away a young life that quickly “We cannot be completely certain whether or not an EpiPen would have made a difference It sounds like he was extremely difficult to resuscitate.” Southwark Assistant Coroner Briony Ballard, read paramedic Anneliese Tien-Yin Wong’s statement who said there were already doctors attending Owen by the London Eye The statement read: “The patient was located on the pavement in a pedestrian area in front of the London Eye “There were three bystanders who identified themselves as doctors on scene. “The patient was unresponsive, silent and not breathing and pulseless ” She said that there was a delay to giving shots of adrenaline and hydrocortisol for the anaphylactic shock due to the “chaotic nature of the crowds and bystanders” Owen was rushed to St Thomas’ hospital where he was pronounced dead. The Byron restaurant had “no mention” on the menu that the burger contained a marinade Technical manager Aimee Leitner-Hopps said that a note on the menu asked customers to advise staff of allergies She said an “assumption” was made that the chicken burger didn’t contain a marinade The inquest heard Owen had been going to hospital twice a year due to asthma and suffered various other allergies Ms Ballard said: “It’s estimated that half a chicken burger contains 5g of buttermilk “Although this is a small amount of cow’s milk protein, it would be sufficient to cause anaphylactic reaction in a person with an allergy “In the case of Owen, there was milk ingested at a dose that clearly caused an allergic reaction “Having food allergies increases the risk of spontaneous fatal or life threatening asthma “Owen had numerous respiratory allergies including cat, house dust mite, tree and pollen The day of his death in spring had high pollen. “In summary the likelihood of milk allergies triggering this event is high but the possibility of spontaneous asthma cannot be discounted ”


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *